The application-oriented master’s program in Data Science builds on a bachelor’s degree in computer science and related fields. The goal is a scientifically sound, application-oriented study in the essential data science areas of scalable data management and data analysis with data mining and machine learning methods. The program enables you to conduct independent basic or application-oriented research.
|Field of study||Computer science and mathematics|
|Type of study||Advanced|
|Degree||Master of Science|
|Teaching language||German, partly English language|
|Type of study||Full-time, Part-time|
|Start of study||Winter semester, Summer semester|
|Admission restriction||Open admission|
|Standard period of study||4 semesters|
Subject-specific admission requirements
(a) a first university degree (bachelor’s degree) in computer science, business information systems, or data science
(b) a first university degree (bachelor’s degree) and the following knowledge:
- Knowledge in mathematics / theoretical computer science of at least 20 credit points (ECTS), including equivalent knowledge to the module Probability Theory (10-201-1802)
- Knowledge in basics of computer science and programming of at least 40 ECTS, including equivalent knowledge to the following modules of the bachelor program in computer science at the University of Leipzig:
- Modeling and Programming 1 (10-201-2005-1)
- Modeling and Programming 2 (10-201-2005-2)
- Algorithms and Data Structures 1 (10-201-2001-1)
- Algorithms and Data Structures 2 (10-201-2001-2)
- Object-Oriented Programming Practical (10-201-2011)
- Database Systems 1 (10-201-2211)
The contents of the modules can be found in the Module Catalog of the B. Sc. Computer Science.
For international students: please use the anabin database to check whether your degree entitles you to study at the University of Leipzig.
(II) Your knowledge of English must be at least equivalent to B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
For international students: Your knowledge of German must be at least equivalent to C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Verification of the subject-specific admission requirements
The faculty verifies that the above-mentioned requirements are met and issues an official notification. This serves as proof of the corresponding admission requirements.
For this purpose, the following documents have to be sent by mail to Mr. Martin Franke (zulassung.ds [at] informatik.uni-leipzig.de):
- Proof of completed modules of at least 120 LP
- Bachelor certificate / Transcript of Records
- Official module description document
- Tabular curriculum vitae
- If applicable:
- available certificates of course-specific work experience, voluntary internships or similar activities.
For any inquiries, your Bachelor’s certificate and transcript of records as well as the corresponding module catalog is required! If you have any questions, check the FAQs first.
|Start of study||Winter semester and summer semester|
|Limited admission (NCU)||No|
|Application deadline winter semester||02.05.-15.09.|
|Application deadline summer semester||01.12.-15.03.|
|Subject-specific admission requirement||Yes|
Different application deadlines apply to international students:
- Applications with a foreign university degree (uni-assist)
06.04. – 31.05.
01.11. – 31.12.
- Applications with a German university degree (AlmaWeb)
|Summer||01.12. – 31.12.|
|Winter||03.05. – 31.05.|